Monday, January 31, 2011

Life Journal, January 31, 2011

Life Journal, January 31, 2011
Today's readings: Exodus 28, 29; Acts 7

PRAYING FOR THOSE WHO WOULD KILL ME

Scripture
Then they [the high priest and other religious leaders] put their hands over their ears and began shouting. They rushed at him [Stephen] and dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. His accusers took off their coats and laid them at the feet of a young man named Saul.

As they stoned him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." He fell to his knees, shouting, "Lord, don't charge them with this sin!" And with that he died.
Acts 7.57-60

Observation
Stephen reflected Jesus, even unto death.

Application (How would I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Even in the midst of being stoned, Stephen forgave those who were throwing the stones. The only way that would be possible, is to so be filled with Jesus and the Holy Spirit that there would be no room for me. That means I have to get out of the way.

Stephen, we are told, was "a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit." [Acts 6.5] He was "a man full of God's grace and power, performed amazing miracles and signs among the people." [Acts 6.8]

In other words, He had died to himself and was raised new in Christ. He was filled with the Holy Spirit and alive in Christ.

I don't face physical death as Stephen did. I don't have stones being thrown at me. But, at times I do have people throw words at me that are meant to wound and sometimes even kill the spirit. How will I respond? Will I throw words back, hoping to hit my mark? Or will I allow the Spirit to work in me and pray for them? Will I reflect Christ in this small way? Am I willing to die to myself so I can be so filled with Christ and the Holy Spirit that my first and "supernatural" reaction is to forgive and pray for them?

Stephen reflected Christ--and only Christ. May I do the same.

Prayer
Father God, I can't do this on my own. I need Your Spirit, Your grace, Your power. Only when I allow myself to be emptied can I be filled with You. And only then, can I truly reflect You. Father, in all circumstances--no matter what someone says or does to me--I want to be so filled with You that I act/react in a way that points only to You and brings You honor and glory. Fill me with more of You!

No comments: