Monday, January 10, 2011

Life Journal, January 10, 2011

Life Journal, January 10, 2011
Today's readings: Genesis 27, 28; Psalm 6; Luke 10

COMPASSION FOR MY NEIGHBOR

Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "A Jewish man was traveling on a trip from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he was attacked by bandits. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him up, and left him half dead beside the road.

"By chance a priest came along. But when he saw the man lying there, he crossed to the other side of the road and passed him by. A Temple assistant walked over and looked at him lying there, but he also passed by on the other side.

"Then a despised Samaritan came along and when he saw the man, he felt compassion for him. Going over to him, the Samaritan soothed his wounds with olive oil and wine and bandaged them. Then he put the man on his own donkey and took him to an inn, where he took care of him. The next day he handed the innkeeper two silver coins, telling him, 'Take care of this man. If his bill runs higher than this, I'll pay you the next time I'm here.'

"Now which of these three would you say was a neighbor to the man who was attacked by bandits?"
Luke 10.30-36

Observation
Compassion = Action

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
One of my favorite's--I've written on it before. But, today God has me wrestling with the responses of the "religious" (the priest and temple assistant) and the "non-religious" (the "despised Samaritan).

How often do I see someone--anyone--who needs help or assistance and pass by. I have all the good excuses--"I'm not really helping them by giving them money." "They really don't want help or they would use those 'programs' that already in place." etc., etc.

In this story that Jesus tells, I don't see anywhere where he tells us to judge the person who we need to help--but to have compassion and help. And, it is more than just giving money--it is taking an interest in the person and investing in them. He doesn't say anywhere that there is a list of criteria that a person must pass before we help them. He just says to do it.

It is so easy to judge someone and use that for an excuse not to help. That is not what we are called to do. The closing words from Jesus in that story are: "Yes and go and do the same." [Luke 10.37b]

I need to see ALL people through the eyes of Christ, allow Him to work in my heart, and have compassion on them. Then reach out--put myself out--and help. It is what I am commanded to do . . . and what has been done for me!

Prayer
Father God, it so easy for me to see others and judge whether they are worthy of my help or not. Forgive me for all the times I have not reached out in your name and had compassion on someone. Lord, help me to invest myself in the lives of others--just as others have so generously invested in my life. Let me not judge--let me love unconditionally. Change me, O Lord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Как получить Визу в Словакию?
Очень просто!
Выбрать турагенство, которое смогло бы организовать и получение визы в Белорусии по
своей путевке или самостоятельно — на основании проплаченной путевки получать визу , прийдя в консульство с ваучером.
есть еще вопросики?! пишите в мой блог http://slovakiainvest.blog.ru
С Уважением Юлия :)

Anonymous said...

Как получить Визу в Прагу?
Очень просто!
Выбрать турагенство, которое смогло бы организовать и получение визы в России по
своей путевке или самостоятельно — на основании проплаченной путевки получать визу , прийдя в консульство с ваучером.
есть еще вопросики?! пишите в мой блог http://slovakiainvest.blog.ru
С Уважением Юлия :)