Thursday, January 20, 2011

Life Journal, January 20, 2011

Life Journal, January 20, 2011
Today's readings: Genesis 49, 50; Psalm 8; Luke 20

ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY

Scripture
O Lord, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth!
Your glory is higher than the heavens.
You have taught children and infants to tell of your strength,
silencing your enemies and all who oppose you.
When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers--
the moon and the starts you set in place--
what are mere mortals that you should think about them,
Human beings that you should care for them?
Yet you made them only a little lower than God
and crowned them with glory and honor.
You gave them charge of everything you made,
putting all things under their authority--
the flocks and the herds
and all the wild animals,
the birds in the sky, the fish in the sea,
and everything that swims the ocean currents.
O Lord, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth!
Psalm 8.1-9

Observation
God, who created everything, cares for us and we are charged with taking care of all that He has given us.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I have to admit that I don't give much thought to the world around me and my responsibility toward it. I take it for granted and leave the responsibility for creation (land, animals, etc.) to the "tree huggers."

Today's Scripture reminds me that it is also my responsibility. He has put us in charge over the earth and we are to take care of it. I have a responsibility to do my part.

The earth and all that is on it is not to be taken for granted. Today, I will recognize and do my part.

Prayer
Father God, please forgive me for taking Your creation for granted and leaving the responsibility for the care and well-being of it to others. Show me what I need to do--help me to do my part. Thank You for all that You created and for caring for me so much.

No comments: