Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Life Journal, January 19, 2011

Life Journal, January 19, 2011
Today's readings: Genesis 47, 48; Psalm 10; Luke 19

SEEKING THE LOST

Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost."
Luke 19.10

Observation
We are to seek out the lost--not just merely wait for them to come to us.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Zacchaeus is one of my very favorite Bible stories. Everytime I read it I see a new lesson for me--and this time was no different.

Jesus came "to seek and save those who are lost." It was not passive--He went and looked for them. In the case of Zacchaeus, it was a matter of looking up in a tree. But, I cannot miss the fact that Jesus saw Zacchaeus up in the tree. There were enough people there that Zacchaeus had to climb a tree to see Jesus--so there had to be a lot going on and lots of people. But Jesus took time to notice Zacchaeus in the tree. He was looking for the lost.

It is easy for me to get busy in everyday life and miss the lost that God puts in my path. I don't necessarily look up into the trees, so to speak, for them. If I were to be honest, sometimes I don't want to see them--it takes time to seek the lost and spend time with them.

But, that is what I am called to do. If it was Jesus' "mission statement" it should be mine--I should be about the business of seeking the lost and pointing them to Jesus, in whom they can find salvation.

So, today, I will look and seek out those who are lost. I will engage them and let them know that Jesus cares enough to have seen them and offer them salvation.

Prayer
Father God, open my eyes today to those you send along my way. I pray that Your mission would become mine--give me a heart for the lost. Give me the words that I need to share the Good News. Thank You for the opportunity to join You in Christ's mission.

No comments: