Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Life Journal, January 18, 2011

Life Journal, January 18, 2011
Today's readings: Genesis 44-46; Luke 18

DOWNSIZE TIME

Scripture
Once a religious leader asked Jesus this question: "Good Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?"

"Why do you call me good?" Jesus asked him. "Only God is truly good. But to answer your question, you know the commandments. 'You must not commit adultery. You must not murder. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mother.'"

The man replied, "I've obeyed all these commandments since I was young."

When Jesus heard his answer, he said, "There is still one thing you haven't done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

But when the man heard this he became very sad, for he was very rich.
Luke 18.18-23

Observation
To follow Jesus we must be willing to give up anything and everything that stands between us and Him.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
For the rich young man--his wealth stood between him and Jesus. He wasn't willing to "pay the cost" to follow Jesus.

What is Jesus asking me to get rid of in my life so that I can fully follow Him? What is getting in the way?? Is it all the "stuff" I own?? What do I put before Him??

There is freedom in getting rid of the "stuff" that weighs me down. . . so why do I hold on to it?? My hands need to always be open--so I can receive from God and freely let go of everything. It is in letting go of everything that I can truly have everything that matters.

I look around me and see lots of stuff--too much stuff. I need to simplify so I can be free to follow Jesus.

So, today, I will begin the process of letting go to all that holds me back from freely following Jesus.

Prayer
Lord, I know many of the things that hold me back from fully following You--help me to recognize those thing that I "don't see" and that hinder me from following. I want the freedom that comes in letting go. Help me to keep my hands open--not just so I can receive--but so things can pass through me and onto others who have need. Lord, I don't want to be like the rich young man who isn't willing to give up whatever I need to to follow you. I want to do whatever it takes. Thank You, Lord for Your Word for me today.

No comments: