Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Life Journal, January 12, 2011

Life Journal, January 12, 2011
Today's readings: Genesis 29, 30; Luke 12

MONEY AND POSSESSIONS

Scripture
Jesus speaking:

Life is not measured by how much you own. Luke 12.15b

Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God. Luke 12.21

Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need. Luke 12.31

Sell your possessions and give to those in need. This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven never get old or develop holes. Your treasure will be safe; no thief can steal it and no moth can destroy it. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be. Luke 12.33, 34

When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required. Luke 12.48b

Observation
We either worship money/things . . . or we worship God. One will be more important than the other to us.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I am responsible for what I do with what God gives me. The world tells me I need more and more "stuff." The more stuff I have shows just how successful I am. And it seems that the more I have the more I want.

Jesus tells me to get rid of it all--all the stuff that weighs me down and pulls me away from Him. He wants to be my treasure. I can lose all of my "stuff" in an instant . . .

It's funny, with the down-turn in the economy, people cling more and more to what they have, so afraid that they will lose what they have. They don't give as freely--they hold on to it tightly.

When God gives to me, I have my hands open. Then I quickly close them so I can hold on to it--so I don't lose it. Instead, maybe I am called to leave my hands open--so I can freely share with others.

I'm rambling. . . . there is so much more to life than what I own. I can't take it with me. Money should not control my life--God should control my life and therefore my money. I don't need more stuff for myself, I need to do more for others.

I am rich compared to so many--God commands me to share my wealth with others.

Today, I will keep my hands open as God gives to me. I will begin simplifying my life by getting rid of things. I will remember that my life is not measured by the things I have--but by the love I share. I will begin to treasure what God treasures--others.

Prayer
Lord, my thoughts are full today from Your Word. The world teaches the opposite of what You tell us. Help me to listen only to You and not to the world. Help me to block out the world's message about money and possessions. Those things don't bring life--only You do. Make me a wise steward of what You give me. Help me to be generous with all that I have. May my hands be found to be open so I can share with others--not clenched tightly clinging to what you give me. Change me, O God.

No comments: