Monday, January 17, 2011

Life Journal, January 17, 2011

Life Journal, January 17, 2011
Today's readings: Genesis 42, 43; Psalm 5; Luke 17

NOT JUST CLEANSED--BUT HEALED

Scripture
As Jesus continued on toward Jerusalem, he reached the border between Galilee and Samaria. As he entered a village there, ten lepers stood at a distance, crying out, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!"

He looked at them and said, "Go show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy.

One of them, when he saw that he was healed, came back to Jesus, shouting, "Praise God!" He fell to the ground at Jesus' feet, thanking him for what he had done. This man was a Samaritan.

Jesus asked, "Didn't I heal ten men? Where are the other nine? Has no one returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?" And Jesus said to the man, "Stand up and go. Your faith has healed you."
Luke 17.11-19

Observation
A thankful spirit brings healing.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Ten with leprosy--all were cleansed--one was thankful and was healed.

When God answers a prayer do I bother to be thankful . . . or do I feel entitled and therefore see no reason to say thank you?? Or am I just too lazy or too busy to say thank you?? Am I truly thankful??

Unluckily, it becomes easy to get in the habit of not saying thank you. When was the last time I received a thank you note, let alone a verbal thank you, for something I had done? Not that I do it for the thank you . . . it's just nice to know that it was appreciated.

If I feel that way, how must God feel when He does for us and gives to us and the words out of our mouths are ones that say it's not enough--we want more . . . rather than Thank You--Praise You God! God doesn't need our thanks, our thanks/praise to Him are actually for us. We see in the story of the lepers that the one that came back, that returned to give thanks--was healed. So, when we don't give thanks . . . we miss the healing God has for us. It might be a spiritual healing, an emotional healing, a mental healing, or a physical healing. . . .but we miss all that God has for us because we don't stop and recognize what He has done for us.

I don't give God thanks/praise so I can get more from Him, but I do it because I can't help myself--I have to do it. And in that surrender, I find healing.

Prayer
Thank You God for today's lesson. Thank You for all You do for me. Thank You for opening my eyes to Your truth and the importance of thanking You and praising You. To You and You alone belongs all praise! May I give thanks in ALL things. Change me Lord!

No comments: