Friday, January 14, 2011

Life Journal, January 14, 2011

Life Journal, January 14, 2011
Today's readings: Genesis 34-36; Luke 14

STILL ABOUT ME

Scripture
Then he [Jesus] turned to his host. "when you put on a luncheon or a banquet," he said, "don't invite your friends, brothers, relatives, and rich neighbors. For they will invite you back, and that will be your only reward. Instead, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. Then at the resurrection of the righteous, Bod will reward you for inviting those who could not repay you."
Luke 14.12-14

Observation
It's not about doing what makes us comfortable--it is about doing what is right, what God would have us do.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Inviting those I know to join me is what I am comfortable with. It is not comfortable inviting people who are not like me and I don't know.

The message to me today is two-fold--why are those close to me (those I have as friends, etc.) only people I am comfortable with? I limit my world when I choose to only make friends and associate with those who are like me and really require nothing of me. When I have moved outside my comfort zone, I have been blessed. But, I still hesitate and avoid doing it whenever possible.

My circle needs more diversity. I need to watch for who God puts into my path . . . and who God would have me leave my path for. I am too comfortable. There is so much that I miss--so many opportunities that I miss, just so I can be comfortable. Jesus doesn't call me to comfort--and yet at some level--it is always the question that I ask myself first . . . .will this make me uncomfortable?

Later in the same chapter, Jesus says: "If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison--your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple. And if you do not carry your own cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciple." [Luke 14.25-27] Those aren't words of comfort--they are words that make me uncomfortable and look outside of myself.

This change is going to take time and intention. But, that isn't an excuse to not make it. I must open myself up by denying myself.

Prayer
Lord God, this isn't an easy one today. It really takes me into some new areas of commitment and being a disciple. I know I can't do it on my own--fill me with your Holy Spirit so I can be more and more the person You want me to be. Let me love You more than anyone . . . or anything else. Let me put others first--and not just those I am comfortable with. Keep me on track, Lord--on the right path. Thank You!

No comments: