Thursday, January 13, 2011

Life Journal, January 13, 2011

Life Journal, January 13, 2011
Today's readings: Genesis 31-33; Luke 13

ONE MORE CHANCE

Scripture
Then Jesus told this story: "A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed. Finally, he said to his gardener, 'I've waited three years, and there hasn't been a single fig! Cut it down. It's just taking up space in the garden.'

"The gardener answered, 'Sir, give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I'll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer. If we get figs next year, fine. If not, then you can cut it down.'"
Luke 13.6-9

Observation
God doesn't give up on us and offers us another chance.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
How often have I given up on someone else because I haven't seen change/progress when I thought I should?? It is an easy thing to do.

How often have others given up on me thinking they should have seen certain changes or progress?? I even give up on myself sometimes--disappointed that I haven't changed enough or do enough.

These verses remind me to not give up on others . . . or myself. To continue to "feed" myself and others with those things that are life-giving and pay special attention and watch for results. There is also a sense of expectation in these verses . . . to expectation to see fruit.

So today, I will be a gardener in the life of others and in my own. I will create an atmosphere that encourages health and growth . . . and life.

Prayer
Father God, when I look at others today may I see the potential and pour myself into their lives--helping them to produce fruit. Thank You, Lord, that You don't give up on me when You don't see immediate results. May I grow and produce fruit and bring You honor and glory!!

No comments: