Sunday, January 16, 2011

Life Journal, January 16, 2011

Life Journal, January 16, 2011
Today's reading: Genesis 39-41; Luke 16

SUCCESS

Scripture
The Lord was with Joseph, so he succeeded in everything he did as he served in the home of his Egyptian master.
Genesis 39.2

Potiphar was furious when he heard his wife's story about how Joseph had treated her. So he took Joseph and threw him into the prison where the king's prisoners were held, and there he remained. But the Lord was with Joseph in the prison and showed him his faithful love. And the Lord made Joseph a favorite with the prison warden. . . . The Lord was with him and caused everything he did to succeed.
Genesis 39.19-21, 23b

Observation
No matter what the circumstances, no matter how things look, God is with us.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
As I read Joseph's story I wonder what makes Joseph different. No matter what his circumstances, God shows him favor and blesses all that he does--whether he is sold as a slave or in prison, we are told that the "Lord was with him and showed him his faithful love."

We aren't told what makes Joseph different, but what maybe we aren't told is what makes him different. There is no where that it tells us that Joseph blamed God, or got angry at God, or didn't continue to worship God during what we would consider as trials.

I think Joseph must have had a really great attitude during all this . . . and that is why he was able to see and receive God's special blessings.

Could they be there for us too and we just miss them because we are so busy feeling sorry for ourselves? Do we miss God's presence, love and blessings because we are too busy asking why and not holding on to the truths that we know--that He is faithful, that His love never fails, that He never leaves us??

What Joseph-like opportunities have I missed because I was too busy whining and feeling sorry for myself? I hate to think of all of them.

Today, I will begin focusing more and more on God and less and less on my circumstances and what appears to be going on around me. Today I will look for God's blessings, not what could have been or might have been.

Prayer
Father God, thank You for the lesson today. Please forgive me for all that I have wasted because I was too busy feeling sorry for myself or whining. May I look for You in every circumstance and see You at work. Thank You that You never leave me and that You pour out Your unfailing love on me all the time. Change me today, O Lord!!

No comments: