Sunday, January 30, 2011

Life Journal, January 30, 2011

Life Journal, January 30, 2011
Today's readings: Exodus 25-27; Acts 6

ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY

Scripture
But as the believers rapidly multiplied, there were rumblings of discontent. The Greek-speaking believers complained about the Hebrew-speaking believers, saying that their widows were being discriminated against in the daily distribution of food.
Acts 6.1

Observation
There is always something to be discontent about--even for believers.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
As I read the Scripture, I knowingly was shaking my head thinking--church folks always find something to be unhappy about. That's why I have a problem with church--nobody is happy, everybody finds something to whine and complain about.

Then God slaps me up the back of the head and points out that I am complaining and whining about church . . . the very thing that breaks my heart about church. I am just as guilty as everyone else and help to make church as miserable as everyone else. I watch others and judge them--I judge whether I think they are worshiping or not, whether they are acting appropriate or not, whether they are reverent enough . . . sadly, the list goes on and on.

What would happen if I just went to church to just worship God?!?! What if I didn't even notice others (other than to say hello, smile and be friendly)? What if instead of complaining about how the service is done, the music, the preaching, etc., I went and put my entire focus on God? What if I was determined to worship, to enjoy the service, to rejoice, to be so filled with God's Spirit that it just over-flowed that I didn't pay attention to what I was allowing to distract me from why I am there?

Instead of blaming others I have to accept responsibility for my time with God. Maybe if my attitude was different then I would act differently and my experience might be different.

Today as I go to church, I will go and not worry about or judge anyone or anything else--I will go to worship my Jesus. Imagine that!

Prayer
Lord forgive me. May I go to church today with an open heart to worship You and You alone. Help me to focus on what is truly important--You! Help me to not complain or judge and not make the service about me. I am the problem Lord, not others. If I can't worship it is no one elses fault but my own. No excuses. Today I go to worship You!!

No comments: