Thursday, January 27, 2011

Life Journal, January 27, 2011

Life Journal, January 27, 2011
Today's readings: Exodus 17-20; Acts 3

KEEPING THE SABBATH HOLY

Scripture
[God speaking] "Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath day of rest dedicated to the Lord your God. On that day no one in your household may do any work. This includes you, your sons and daughters, your male and female servants, your livestock, and any foreigners living among you. For in six days the Lord made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and everything in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy."
Exodus 20.8-11

Observation
Observing the Sabbath and keeping it holy is one of the Ten Commandments.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
One of God's commandments that I often overlook. I wonder why it has become so unimportant to us?

Where I live now, in Orem where it is 90+% Mormon, most of the stores and many of the restaurants are closed on Sunday. The Mormon's do work at keeping the Sabbath. I don't know what they do with their day, but for the most part they don't go out and shop, etc. It's funny what a shock it was to me to see the mall closed on Sunday.

So how do I see the Sabbath?? I tend to see it as any other day and do pretty much whatever I want. Oh, I go to church and have my quiet time, but that's it. What should my Sabbath look like? What am I to do with my time that helps in making/keeping the Sabbath holy??

I am commanded by God to keep the Sabbath, to sit it aside, to make it Holy. It is not something that is just going to happen, but something I must be intentional about.

I think there are some things that I can do on my Sabbath that help to make it a Holy day. Time with friends can make it holy. Time just being can make it holy. It is about resting in God and focusing on Him.

My Sabbath should not look like any other day--it needs to be set apart . . . as God commanded. So, I am going to work at being intentional with my Sabbath--at giving the day to God and listening and watching what He would have me do with it. I want to be faithful to His commands and this is one of them. If I want to please God, then I must keep all 10 commandments, not just the ones that are easy.

Prayer
Father God, forgive me for what I have done to the Sabbath--how I ignore it and make it just like any other day. You have called for me to sit it aside and make it Holy--so that means I need to fill it with You! Help me be aware of what I am doing. Help me to make it Holy--show me what it is You want me to do . . . or what You don't want me to do. May I make You Lord of my Sabbath!

No comments: