Saturday, January 29, 2011

Life Journal, January 29, 2011

Life Journal, January 29, 2011
Today's readings: Exodus 23, 24; Psalm 14; Acts 5

WORTHY TO SUFFER

Scripture
They called in the apostles and had them flogged. Then they ordered them never again to speak in the name of Jesus, and they let them go.

The apostles left the high council rejoicing that God had counted them worthy to suffer disgrace for the name of Jesus. And every day, in the Temple and from house to house, they continued to teach and preach this message: "Jesus is the Messiah."
Acts 5. 40-42

Observation
The apostles rejoiced in being flogged/beaten because that meant that God counted them worthy to suffer for Jesus.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I read those verses and I am amazed. Would I rejoice for being beaten for Jesus? I don't even like to have people talk badly about me--let alone be beaten.

I guess as I reread it, they didn't rejoice over the beating, but rejoiced that God had counted them worthy to suffer disgrace for the name of Jesus. Still . . . . I don't know that I could do that. Then I have to ask myself, does that mean that Jesus does not mean enough to me that I am willing to suffer disgrace--or anything else--for Him?? Ouch. I would want to believe that He would.

If I am honest, the thought of suffering doesn't excite me. . . and I don't seem to do it very well. Is that because I am so wrapped up in myself and so self-centered that I don't believe I deserve it? The very things that I talk against--I am guilty of. Imagine that.

So, what that means is that I have not died to myself yet. I have not allowed God to consume me through His Holy Spirit. If I am still that concerned about myself, then I am not concerned enough with God. I have a lot more work to do--or rather, God has a lot more work to do in me.

Today, I will continue to give more and more of my life over to God, allowing Him to fill me more and more. Maybe one day I will be able to, along with the apostles, rejoice that God has counted me worthy to suffer disgrace for the name of Jesus.

Prayer
Lord God, today's lesson was a hard one. It shines the light on all the areas in my life that I have not given over to You. Forgive me Father for holding on so tightly to life and not giving it over completely to You. Take it God. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit. Help me to rejoice in all circumstances--especially when I am given the privilege to suffer for the name of Jesus.

No comments: