Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Life Journal, January 26, 2011

Life Journal, January 26, 2011
Today's readings: Exodus 14-16; Acts 2

A SHORT MEMORY

Scripture
As Pharaoh approached, the people of Israel looked up and panicked when they saw the Egyptians overtaking them. They cried out to the Lord, and they said to Moses, "Why did you bring us out here to die in the wilderness? Weren't there enough graves for us in Egypt? What have you done to us? Why did you make us leave Egypt? Didn't we tell you this would happen while we were still in Egypt? We said, 'Leave us alone! Let us be slaves to the Egyptians. It's better to be a slave in Egypt than a corpse in the wilderness!'"
Exodus 14.10-12

Then the people complained and turned against Moses.
Exodus 15.24

There, too, the whole community of Israel complained about Moses and Aaron.
Exodus 16.2

The Lord asked Moses, "How long will these people refuse to obey my commands and instructions?
Exodus 16.28

Observation
Even though God had answered their cries for help and freed them from the Egyptians, even though they had crossed the Red Sea on dry land (saving them from the Egyptians), even though God brought them to safety . . . they complained and whined. When anything difficult came at them they "forgot" all that God had done and was doing for them.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I read all that God did for the community of Israel--all the miracles He performed, freeing them from Pharoah, the parting of the Red Sea, the angel that led them, the pillars of cloud and fire that led them and protected them, the manna and quail--and I wonder how they could forget all that He did so quickly and cry out against God and refuse to obey His commands and instructions.

Then I look in a mirror. How quickly I forget God's faithfulness and His miracles in my life. How quickly I question God and whine because things aren't going my way. How quickly I feel sorry for myself. What a short memory I have!

So, today, I will remember what God has done for me when I feel myself slipping into old habits of whining and forgetting. Today, I will choose to obey God's commands and instructions . . . not using what I perceive as difficult circumstances as an excuse not to. Today I will celebrate God's work in my life--all of it, whether I like what He is doing or not.

Prayer
Father God, please forgive my short memory. You do so much for me, Your faithfulness is beyond measure, and yet I am never satisfied--I am constantly whining and blaming and forgetting. Today, Lord, I choose to remember and celebrate and obey. Thank You for Your patience with me!! Thank You for not giving up on me and putting up with all my whining and questioning. Thank You for loving me enough to discipline me and guide me and sending Your Son Jesus!

No comments: