Sunday, January 9, 2011

Life Journal, January 9, 2011

Life Journal, January 9, 2011
Today's readings: Genesis 23, 24; Luke 9


IT'S NOT ABOUT ME


Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed?"
Luke 9.23-26


Observation
Following Jesus requires us to put Him first in ALL areas of our lives--we can no longer be inward focused--we must be Christ focused. We must die to ourselves and become alive . . . giving ourselves fully to Him.


Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
How many times have I read these words and agreed with them . . . but have not changed. I am willing to give Jesus some areas of my life--those that really don't require much from me/of me.


Jesus calls us to die daily to ourselves so we can fully live daily for Him.


In my Oswald Chambers reading yesterday, it said: "This event [Genesis 22.9] is a picture of the mistake we make in thinking that the ultimate God wants of us is the sacrifice of death. What God wants is the sacrifice through death which enables us to do what Jesus did, that is sacrifice our lives. Not--'Lord, I am ready to go with You . . . to death' (Luke 22.33). But--'I am willing to be identified with Your death so that I may sacrifice my life to God.'"


This is what it means to give up our life--not to die for His sake--but to live for His sake.


So today, I will be intentional about living my life for Christ. I will continue to give my life over to Him so that I might be a living sacrifice. That will mean saying "NO!" to myself and "YES!!!" to Jesus in everything. Lord help me!!


Prayer
Father God, it sounds so easy--saying yes to you and no to myself. But, I fail at it daily. I am self-centered and self-focused--not God-centered and God-focused. Help me to change today. Help me to see what is important to You--may I be a living sacrifice today!!

No comments: