Saturday, January 8, 2011

Life Journal, January 8, 2011

Today's Readings: Genesis 20-22; Luke 8

CHANGING MY SOIL

Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is God's word. The seeds that fell on the foot-path represent those who hear the message, only to have the devil come and take it away from their hearts and prevent them from believing and being saved. The seeds on the rocky soil represent those who hear the message and receive it with joy. But since they don't have deep roots, they believe for a while, then they fall away when they face temptation. The seeds that fell among the thorns represent those who hear the message, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the cares and riches and pleasures of this life. And so they never grow into maturity. And the seeds that fell on the good soil represent honest, good-hearted people who hear God's word, cling to it and patiently produce a huge harvest."
Luke 8.11-15

Observation
The seed doesn't change--it is the soil that makes the difference.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
How many times have I read this and not been honest with what kind of soil I am?? Wow. I have so easily gone to being the good soil--that's me . . . really?!?!

If I am to be honest with myself, there are times that my soil has been rocky. Those times that I give up on God because my roots are not deep enough. I have not planted His Word deeply enough in my heart so that I hold on to His Truth no matter how things may appear. Instead, I move away when life gets difficult.

There are too many other times that my soil is thorny--and I allow God to be crowded out by life--I don't have time for Him. My quiet time gets pushed aside for other things--even ministry opportunities. I allow any and everything to crowd out God. I still know all the right words, but I am not growing in maturity. I remain satisfied with just enough Jesus to get me by . . . and to look good. Ouch.

I need to be intentional if I am going to have the kind of soil that is "good soil." The kind that takes God's Word and allows it to change me and grow me. But, I have to do my part--I have to continually be preparing the soil and working it and watering it so that there is something worth harvesting.

So today, I will begin being more intentional about paying attention to the soil of my life. I will work to make it good soil so God can plant His Word in me and it will create a harvest that glorifies God.

Prayer
Thank You God for Your Word!! Thank You for loving me too much to leave me the same. Thank You for opening my eyes to the truth. Forgive me for believing the enemies lies too often. Help me to not allow my soil to become rocky or throny--but keep it good so Your Word can be planted in my life and grow deeply into my heart. Thank You for Your amazing love for me.

No comments: