Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Life Journal, February 1, 2011

Life Journal, February 1, 2011
Today's readings: Exodus 30-32; Acts 8

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE SABBATH

Scripture
The Lord then gave these instructions to Moses: "Tell the people of Israel: 'Be careful to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you from generation to generation. It is given so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy. You must keep the Sabbath day, for it is a holy day for you. Anyone who desecrates it must be put to death; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but the seventh day must be a Sabbath day of complete rest, a holy day dedicated to the Lord. Anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death. The people of Israel must keep the Sabbath day by observing it from generation to generation. This is a covenant obligation for all time. It is a permanent sign of my covenant with the people of Israel. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day he stopped working and was refreshed.'"
Exodus 31.12-17

Observation
The Sabbath is to be set aside as a day of complete rest and dedicated to God.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I don't think God could make this any clearer . . . so why is it something that is just ignored. We do not keep the Sabbath--no matter what day we see as the Sabbath in our week. How different would I be--how different would life be if we (all believers) truly observed a Sabbath. Maybe there would be less stress. Maybe we would have time to remember what is important--people in our lives--not work and achievements and money.

I feel guilty if I take time to do nothing. The world has taught me that I need to be in constant motion if I am going to be successful. But, that's not what God teaches me.

It is clear that the Sabbath is important to God and therefore it should be important to me. It is to be a day to focus on God and what He has blessed us with. If I want to take God's teaching seriously--that includes His teaching on the Sabbath.

Prayer
Father God, I don't keep Your Sabbath. Forgive me for not being willing to set aside time just for You. May I learn the value and importance of keeping the Sabbath. Help me to set aside time for You and time to renew and refresh, so I can be the person You have called me to be. Maybe if I gave You the day You asked for I wouldn't be so tired all the time. Thank You Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! Great Article! The Sabbath was established pre-sin (Gen.2:2-3). It is the very heart of God's Hoy Decalogue. The true 7th Day Sabbath can only be found via the Lunar Solar Calendar established at Creation! :) http://www.worldslastchance.com/