Friday, February 4, 2011

Life Journal, February 4, 2011

Life Journal, February 4, 2011
Today's readings: Exodus 37,38; Psalm 19; Acts 11

DELIBERATE SIN

Scripture
How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart?
Cleanse me from these hidden faults.
Keep your servant from deliberate sins!
Don't let them control me.
Then I will be free of guilt
and innocent of great sin.
Psalm 19.12-13

Observation
We need to continually ask God to reveal our sins to us and repent--not allowing them to control us anymore.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I had really wanted to write about something different today. . . wanted there to be some other truth that God wanted me to learn from. But, this is what He has for me today.

Deliberate sin--I really don't like to think this is something that I am guilty of, but I am. Much more so than I would like to admit. I will be ready to do something or say something and God nudges me . . . and sometimes I go ahead and do it or say it--knowing full well that I shouldn't. Deliberate sin.

I continue with habits that do not glorify God. Some people would probably even argue that they really aren't sin--but they are. Anything that I do that I know that I shouldn't is sin. And unluckily, there is more of that in my life than I would like to admit.

It is part of dying to myself and being made new in Christ. Most of my deliberate sin comes from my rebellion and unwillingness to tell myself "NO!". Like a small child I stomp my foot and do what I want--even though I know it is not what God wants.

So today . . . wow, that's a hard one. Will I tell myself "no"? Will I allow God to continue to shine light on the dark places in my life--my sin? Will I repent and seek to do what God wants me to do rather than what I want to do? Am I willing to take the steps necessary so that what God wants in my life is what I want in my life?

Hard questions and hard things to do--but I do not do them alone and powerless--God is with me and sends His Holy Spirit to give me the power to do it. That gives me hope . . . that I will be able to take the steps I need to take and allow Him to speak truth into my life and shine light on my sins. I will turn my deliberate sins over to Him and allow Him to conquer them, because I cannot do it on my own. We are more than conquerers through Him!

Prayer
Father God, forgive me for not making the changes You have called me to make. Forgive my rebellion--help me Lord to turn from my old sin-filled ways to You and the Light. Lord, I know I can't do it on my own, I haven't yet and know that I can't do it without Your power and strength. Thank You for never giving up on me and loving me through it all. So, Lord change me so that, "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." [Psalm 19.14]

No comments: