Saturday, February 5, 2011

Life Journal, February 5, 2011

Life Journal, February 5, 2011
Today's readings: Exodus 39, 40; Psalm 15; Acts 12

BELIEVING FOR WHAT WE PRAY

Scripture
But while Peter was in prison, the church prayed very earnestly for him. . . .

When they finally opened the door and saw him, they were amazed.
Acts 12.5,16

Observation
When we pray, we should believe that God will answer.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Peter was put in prison. The church prayed earnestly for him. God rescued him--setting him free. He goes to the house where the believers are and they don't believe that it is him knocking on the door. When they finally do believe, and open the door and see him, we are told that they are amazed.

They prayed but didn't really believe that God would rescue Peter in a miraculous way. They were looking for the normal--not the miraculous.

So, how often to do pray believing that God will answer in a miraculous way?? I trust that He will answer my prayers, He promises He will. BUT, I don't really expect Him to do something extra-ordinary. I expect Him to do something ordinary and, if I am to be honest, to probably say no to my prayer.

We are told to pray--believing. But do I undermine my own prayers by not really believing?? I give God all kinds of outs--probably not His timing, might not be His will, . . . . God doesn't need us to make excuses for Him, He needs me to believe that He will answer--and answer miraculously. Nothing mundane for the Creator of the universe, nothing ordinary for the God who parted the Red Sea--He is the God of miracles.

So, I need to start believing this and living this way. I need to expect super-natural answers to prayers. I need to trust God with my prayers.

Prayer
Father God, forgive my lack of faith. Forgive me for being timid and not boldly coming before You and expecting You to answer my prayers. Lord, I am praying, believing that You are a God of miracles and that You hear my prayers and You answer them. Thank You for the prayers You are answering right now!!

No comments: