Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Life Journal April 30, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Samuel 6; 1 Chronicles 13; Psalm 68; Matthew 17

Mustard Seed Sized Faith

Scripture
Afterward the disciples asked Jesus privately, "Why couldn't we cast out that demon?"

"You don't have enough faith," Jesus told them. "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard see, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible."
Matthew 17.19-21

Observation
With faith in God, there is no limit to what can be accomplished for the Kingdom.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Mountain-moving faith is the size of a mustard seed--which is very very small.

The disciples had cast out demons before. . . and healed people. What was different this time? Was their faith lacking this time?

These are verses that cause me to wrestle with God's Word. I ask myself (and God) . . . does our faith fluctuate that much from day to day? What does mustard seed-sized faith look like? I have faith, yet . . . prayers go unanswered. . . so is my faith that puny?

I'm not sure what the answer is . . . but, I know that my faith in God is what sustains me, gives me life and hope. These verses remind me that my faith has lots of room for growth. And growing my faith can be hard work--it often means trials and tests and refining. But, it grows me into the person God has called me to be . . . it grows my faith.

So today, I will embrace the opportunities to grow my faith and be open to what God has for me. If "nothing is impossible" for God--then growing my faith isn't impossible!

Prayer
Lord God, as I read Your Word and wrestle with it, I am taken with the fact that believing and not understanding what You mean requires faith on my part. While I don't understand these verses, I have faith that You will lead me into the understanding I need to have . . . as I need it. I trust that You will give me the faith I need as I need it. Today, I don't have any mountains to move (or maybe I do) . . . and I can trust that You will give me the faith I need--even mustard seed-sized faith--to accomplish anything that You call me to do . Thank You for Your truth.

No comments: