Friday, April 25, 2008

Life Journal April 25, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 30, 31; 1 Chronicles 10; Matthew 12

My Strength Is In the Lord

Scripture
David was now in great danger because all his men were very bitter about losing their sons and daughters, and they began to talk of stoning him. But David found strength in the Lord his God.
1 Samuel 30.6

Observation
No matter the circumstances, we can find all the strength we need in God.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
The Amalekites had raided the city that David and his men lived in--Ziklag. They had burned the town to the ground and had carried off the women and children and everyone else--but without killing anyone. David and his men arrive home to see everything gone or destroyed. Scripture tells us that "they wept until they could weep no more." [1 Samuel 30.4] The men were angry and sought to make David pay for what had happened to their families.

We aren't told how David found strength in the Lord--only that he does.

When things at us--and the world seems to be crumbling all around us--we need to, like David, turn to God for the strength that we need. I so often try to do it on my own--to be strong. And I crumble and fall apart. It is only in God that I have any strength at all. Why is that so hard for me to remember?

Whenever I have read how someone stood strong in their faith and died because of that, I have thought--I don't know if I could do that or not--I would hope I could--but could I??? What I fail to remember is that person isn't standing and dying in their own strength--but in God's strength. God will give us the strength we need--whatever we face--as long as we turn to Him for it.

Today, may I remember that my strength comes only from the Lord!

Prayer
Lord God, I confess that so often I try to stand and do things in my own strength. . . and I fail miserably. For some reason, I find the need to look like I am strong, when in truth . . . I am very weak and helpless without You. Lord, help me to remember the true and only source of my strength--YOU! May I walk in my weakness so that Your power may be manifested in me. Lord God, fill me with Your strength, You wisdom, You compassion, Your love, Your mercy--so that there is no room left for me. Thank You, Father God, for taking such good care of me!

No comments: