Friday, April 11, 2008

Life Journal April 11, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 11,12; 1 Chronicles 1; 2 Corinthians 11

Not So Different

Scripture
Now if you will fear and worship the Lord and listen to his voice, and if you do not rebel against the Lord's commands, and if you and your king follow the Lord your God, then all will be well. But if you rebel against the Lord's commands and refuse to listen to him, then his hand will be as heavy upon you as it was upon your ancestors.
1 Samuel 12.14-15

Observation
When we do not listen to God and obey him there are consequences.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
In all these years, things really haven't changed that much. We still rebel against God and His commands. We still do not make Him first--in anything, let alone our lives. We follow God when it is convenient or when it serves us. We want things our way.

God did everything He could to make it easy for us. We now only have two commandments: [Jesus speaking] "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: Love your neighbor as yourself. The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments." [Matthew 22.37-40]

He sent His one and only Son to pay the price for our sin--all we have to do is accept His gift of grace. [John 3.16-17]

So why do we not listen and obey Him? Why are we so self-centered, often not even trying to become more and more like Jesus? How we must break His heart.

No, in all these thousands of years we have not changed. Today, may I listen to His voice and choose to obey Him--no matter the cost.

Prayer
Father, it is easy for me to think of all the different ones that don't listen and obey--trying to not see this sin in myself. But Lord, I am just as guilty. I don't like to admit that, but it is true. Lord God, may I slow down and focus on YOU--may I listen to YOU and obey YOU. Help me shut out all the voices that want to tell me what I need to do and how I need to do it. May I hear only You. May I serve only You. May I obey only You. I cannot do it alone God--I need You! May I faithfully serve You today.

No comments: