Saturday, April 12, 2008

Life Journal April 12, 2008
Today's readings: 1Samuel 13; 1 Chronicles 2,3; 2 Corinthians 12
Weakness=Strength
Scripture
[Paul speaking] So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.
Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12.7b-10
Observation
It is in our weaknesses that God's strength can shine through.
Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I don't like to be thought of as weak--I know that I am, but I don't like it to show. I want others to see me as strong--able to leap tall buildings in a single bound . . . a regular superwoman. I don't do it well.
The world tells us we can't let our weakness show because people prey on the weak. I feel the need to prove to others that I can do it all. I perceive that this is their expectation of me. Wonder woman!
And, I don't like insults, hardships, persecutions and troubles. I don't. And I don't know that God really shines through me then. . . . . . . maybe that's because I don't let Him . . . . maybe I am so filled with myself--feeling sorry for myself-- that there is no room for Him to shine. Ouch.
So today, I need to trust Him. When the hard things come at me I need to let Him fill me--I need not fight my weaknesses or try to hide them, but let Him use them so others can see Him at work in me. It is not about me--I need to continue to tell myself that. I need to allow Him to work in me and through me. I need to die to myself so He can have full reign of my life. It is not about me--but about HIM!
So today, I will boast about my weaknesses so that the power of Christ can work through me!
Prayer
Lord, I need Your help in this area of my life. I feel vulnerable when I allow my weaknesses to show--and that's a scary place to be. Lord, I need to trust You more and more. Help me to walk in Your ways. May I remember today . . . and everyday . . . that YOUR grace is all I need. That YOUR power works best in weakness. I cannot do this alone. WIthout You I am nothing. I feel very weak today, so come with Your power into my life and fill me. Thank You for never giving up on me!

No comments: