Sunday, April 13, 2008

Life Journal April 13, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 14; 1 Chronicles 4; 2 Corinthians 13

Final Instructions

Scripture
Dear brothers and sisters, I close my letter with these last words: Be joyful. Grow to maturity. Encourage each other. Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you. Greet each other with Christian love.
2 Corinthians 13.11-12

Observation
Paul's letter to the believers in Corinth deals with disciplining the church. The final words are the ones that they will remember the easiest--so he gives them words of encouragement. Just as they served as encouragement to the believers then they can to us also. [Just as the first part of his letter can serve to speak to us and areas we need to grow in.]

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Paul's closing words--his final greetings--are words of encouragement. If we live in this manner--there won't be all the problems that he addressed in the rest of his letter. Sounds easy enough . . . yet . . .

Living the life that we have been called to live is not by chance--it is by choice. Jesus laid out the what and how we should live. It is then our choice if we live it--and how fully we live it.

We can choose to be joyful. We can choose to do the hard work of growing to maturity. We can be encouragers--rather than always looking for ways to put others down or tearing them down. We can choose to live in harmony and peace. And if we make these choices, the pay-off is that then "the God of love and peace will be with us."

So, why do we choose to live otherwise? Why do we choose to live without His joy?? Who would want to?? Yet our churches are filled with joy-less people. Why do we not grow to maturity? Because we are not willing to "give-up" the things of the world . . . we want what we want. Our tongues are not used to encourage one another--we tear each other apart--ripping and biting and destroying with our words. And live in harmony and peace--only if you do things my way.

So, how will I be different/changed today?? I will strive to intentionally choose to be joyful, to grow, to be an encourager and to live in harmony and peace with others. Today I will choose to share Christ's love with others.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, how Your heart must break when we choose to act in such a way that is not God honoring. I ask Your forgiveness for those times I live for myself and not for You. I ask for forgiveness for those times that I do not choose to be joy-filled, or am willing to grow in Your ways. May the words from my mouth be those of encouragement--of building up--not tearing down. May I strive to live in peace and harmony with others. It's not easy Lord, when they don't want to. But Lord, I know that their choices don't have to be mine and that I can choose to live differently. Lord, I also realize I cannot do any of it without YOU and Your strength and wisdom. Thank You for not giving me direction and then leaving me--thank You that you walk every step of the way with me. And Father, thank You for loving me so much that You never, ever give up on me.

No comments: