Thursday, April 17, 2008

Life Journal April 17, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 19; 1 Chronicles 7; Psalm 59; Matthew 4

Come, Follow Me

Scripture
One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers--Simon, also called Peter, and Andrew--throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. Jesus called out to them, "Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!" And they left their nets at once and followed him.

A little farther up the shore he saw two other brothers, James and John, sitting in a boat with their father, Zebedee, repairing their nets. And he called them to come, too. They immediately followed him, leaving the boat and their father behind.
Matthew 4.18-22

Observation
Jesus called and these two sets of brothers responded without a second thought.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Peter and Andrew, James and John--all four walked away from their jobs. And, not after giving it some thought or talking with others--they responded "at once" and "immediately." No hesitation. They didn't have a clue what he was asking of them--for how long--what it would entail--where they would be going. They got up and followed him.

How often has Jesus asked me to follow him and I have said, "sure as soon as I do . . . . ." There is always so much to do . . . . and we ask Jesus to wait. Think of the opportunities I have missed because I haven't responded immediately.

Today, when Jesus calls to me, may I respond immediately--not worrying about what I am leaving behind or what I may still need to do--but instead focusing on the call of my Savior to "Come, follow me."

Prayer
Lord, today I am listening for Your voice. May I respond when You call me--right then . . . not waiting until it is convenient for me. Lord, help me to hear Your voice above all the noise and demands around me. Thank You for loving me and patiently waiting for me.

No comments: