Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Life Journal April 15, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 17; Psalm 9; Matthew 2

Facing Our Giants

Scripture
[David to Goliath] ". . . .and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel! And everyone assembled here will know that the Lord rescues his people, but not with sword and spear. This is the Lord's battle, and he will give you to us!"
1 Samuel 17.46b-47

Observation
David, who was just a boy, trusted in God's power to defeat the giant.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
The well-known story of David, a young boy, and Goliath, a 9 foot tall seasoned Philistine warrior. Golaith is taunting a whole army of Israelites, telling them that they need to just send one person to fight him--if they win the Philistines will be their slaves . . . . but, if Goliath wins, the Israelites will be their slaves. The whole Israelite army is scared to death. Then along comes David. A young boy who believes that God will protect him and win the battle for him. He faces Goliath with no more than 5 smooth stones and a slingshot. His first shot hits Goliath in the forehead and down he goes. David rushes to him, takes Goliath's sword and kills him--then cuts off his head.

David trusted God. He had no doubts that God would take care of him and that he would succeed. Saul, the king, had offered David his armor--but David didn't use it. He told Saul, "The Lord who rescued me from the claws of the lion and the bear will rescue me from this Philistine!" [vs.37]

Do I expect God to rescue me? Do I look to Him for the battles in my life? Why do I so often feel that I must fight the battles by myself? What do I think I need to prove? I go and fight by myself--thinking I have something to prove--and return scarred and beaten up. . . .and then cry out to God--where were You?? When in truth, I had not asked Him to fight the battle for me--or even help me.

Today, I will remember that first of all I need to make sure it is a battle that God wants me to fight. Then I will trust Him with the battle--carrying out whatever role He would call me to. I will remember that I can trust God with the battles in my life. . . and the only way I can ever win is when I ask Him to fight for me.

Prayer
God, You know the battles in my life. I would pray for the courage and faith to fight and defeat the giants in my life. Thank You for rescuing me.

No comments: