Sunday, April 20, 2008

Life Journal April 20, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 23; Psalm 31, 54; Matthew 7

Judging Others

Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.

"And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying to your friend, 'Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye."
Matthew 7.1-5

Observation
We are not in a position to judge others.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
How often do I judge others?? I would like to think that I don't do that--but in truth, I do it all the time--I judge them by their actions, their words, their dress, their attitude, . . . what I think I know about them. And what is really sad is the fact that I judge them by my standards--not Gods. I may claim it is by God's standards--but it's not.

I need to become more aware of what I am doing/thinking/saying when it comes to others. I need to worry about my own life rather than point my finger at someone else. What makes me think I have the right to judge anyone?

Today, I will be intentional about working on removing the plank in my own eye. Today, I will be intentional about not judging others . . . . and when I catch myself doing it, I will stop. Today, I will see people through God's eyes--not my own. Today, I will not build myself up by tearing others down.

Prayer
Father God, I confess that I judge others. Help me to not do that. Help me to see them through Your eyes. Help me to worry about myself--that is enough for me to handle. Forgive me Father for my unkind thoughts, words, and actions that have come from my judging. I am in no position to judge anyone. . . . only You can judge. May I leave it to You--and You alone--today.

No comments: