Monday, April 21, 2008

Life Journal April 21, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 24; Psalm 57, 58; 1 Chronicles 8; Matthew 8

Calming My Storms

Scripture
Then Jesus got into the boat and started across the lake with his disciples. Suddenly, a fierce storm struck the lake, with waves breaking into the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him up, shouting, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"

Jesus responded, "Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!" Then he got up and rebuked the wind and waves, and suddenly there was a great calm.

The disciples were amazed. "Who is this man?" they asked. "Even the winds and waves obey him!"
Matthew 8.23-27

Observation
Jesus can speak calm into any and all storms in our lives.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
When life rages around us, bringing chaos--Jesus waits for us to ask Him to help us. He is ready to speak calm into our lives--our situations.

In the midst of this storm, I hear the disciples really asking Jesus--"Don't you care about us?" How often do we ask Him the same question? "Where are you Lord? Don't you care? Why aren't you doing something?"

Jesus' response could be seen as harsh. But, I think He is saying--"Why are you afraid? I am right here. I haven't gone anywhere. Don't you trust me? All you have to do is ask! Don't you believe that I can and will take care of you no matter the storm?"

We really aren't any different than the disciples. We stand in the middle of our storms and yell and scream, asking God, "where are You?" Rather than asking for His help. And once we finally do ask Him--and He calms our storm--we are amazed, just as the disciples were. They asked Him for His help--He calms the storm--and they are amazed--surprised by it. Just as we are.

Today, I will trust You with the storms in my life that rage all around me. Today, Lord, I ask and expect You to speak calm into Your servant and into the situation. Today, once again, I will be amazed at Your great works and Your salvation.

Prayer
Thank You Father for speaking peace into life's storms. You know the storms that rage around me--I ask You to speak peace into my life . . . and, if it be Your will, into the storms. I know You are with me. I know that I can trust You. In You alone do I place my faith. Help me to keep my eyes on You. Thank You for Your care, for Your peace, for Your presence in my life.

No comments: