Saturday, April 19, 2008

Life Journal April 19, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 22; Psalm 17, 35; Matthew 6

Forgive Others

Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins."
Matthew 6.15

Observation
Not forgiving others is really not an option.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
There is a healing and a freedom that comes in forgiving others. If we choose to not forgive--it turns to bitterness and begins to eat away at us, soon over-powering us and consuming us.

Forgiving someone does not mean that I am saying what they have done is okay--just as when God forgives me He isn't saying that what I did was okay. But, it does mean letting go and trusting the person--or the event--to God.

I think I sometimes hold on to unforgiveness as a martyr--wearing the "sin" committed against me as a badge almost. 'Look what they did to me--at what they said to me.' Their "sin" causes me to sin when I do that. That is why it is so important for me to forgive quickly and then LET IT GO. Holding on to it really isn't forgiveness. It continues to tie me up.

There are some that I need to forgive. There are some that I need to ask forgiveness from. It gets heavy when I try to carry it all around. God wants to take it--to lighten my load--so I can focus on what is really important--Him!

Today I will begin the process of forgiving. Today I will begin asking for forgiveness. And then I will let it go. . . and in doing so I will be able to walk in the freedom that God has for me.

Prayer
Father God, please help me as I walk this path of forgiveness. Help me to forgive others and let go. Help me to ask for forgiveness and let go. And Lord, please forgive me for holding on to so much--I thank You for the life and freedom that comes from You.

No comments: