Thursday, April 24, 2008

Life Journal April 24, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 28, 29; Psalm 109; Matthew 11

Not Alone

Scripture
Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."
Matthew 11.28-30

Observation
Jesus does not ask us to walk alone as we do ministry--He is willing to carry the load for us.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Yesterday we were told to pick up our cross and follow Jesus. [If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine. Matthew 10.38] Today, He tells us that he does not expect--or want us to carry it alone. He wants to carry it for us--to share our burden.

He calls us to die to ourselves [If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it. Matthew 10.39] so that we don't have to do life on our own--we will let Him in then. If we give Him complete control of our lives--then we no longer have to worry about what He calls us to do because He is the one doing it. The problem comes when we try to do it on our own. We say, "Okay God, here I am, I'll do whatever You want me to do." Then He tells us what to do and we try to do it--in our own strength. Then we begin whining, "Lord, why would You call me to do something so hard?? I can't do this. Don't You care??" And the whole time Jesus is trying to tell us--"I didn't ask you to do this on your own--Let Me do it through you."

We make it so much harder than God intends. If we try to carry our cross alone--then we think we can be seen as a "super hero" and we will get the credit. It is hard to allow Jesus to help when I have "done it on my own" for so long. What am I afraid of??

Today, I need to recognize that God is calling me to serve Him--but not alone. He wants to use me--doing it through me--not me doing it alone for Him. Doing it on my own won't work . . . I will make a mess of it and fall flat on my face. I have to let go and trust Him--no matter what things look like--I have to trust that God will bring about the outcome He wants when I put my life in His hands and allow Him to use me. I can't keep taking it back and trying to control it. If I truly mean that my life is His--then I have to do it with no strings attached. Whew! One step at a time--one day at a time--I can do it with His help.

Prayer
Lord God, thank You for calling me to be Your servant. May I let go of my self-centeredness and allow You to work in me and through me. Lord, I confess that I sometimes have carried my cross and really played the role of the martyr--wanting credit for being such a good servant. Forgive me. I have acted like it do it all on my own--how pathetic. Lord, I know the truth--help me to walk in it--pointing to You--not myself. Help me to die to myself so I can truly live. Help me to pick up my cross and then give it over to You--for You have not called me to carry it on my own--and it points to me . . . not You . . . when I try to do it on my own. Forgive me for drawing attention to myself and not pointing only to You. Lord, today, I ask to walk in Your grace. Thank You Lord for loving me so much that You continue to teach me and lead me into Your truths.

No comments: