Friday, April 18, 2008

Life Journal April 18, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 20-21; Psalm 34; Matthew 5
Love Who?
Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "You have heard the law that says, 'Love your neighbor' and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect."
Matthew 5.43-48
Observation
Jesus turns things upside down--calling us to live a supernatural life--to love those who hate us and to be kind to everyone.
Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
It seems impossible to do what Jesus calls us to do--love my enemies (not just in words--but to actively love them)--pray for those who persecute me (asking God to bless them and for the opportunity to be a blessing to them)--be kind to everyone (not just on the surface, but getting involved). All impossible in my humanness--but possible if I allow God to work in my life, if I allow the Holy Spirit to change my heart. If I were able to do it on my own, it wouldn't mean much--but because it takes God actively at work in my life--it points to Him and not me.
God calls us to live supernatural lives so that those around us can experience Him. It is not a matter of me doing these acts of love on my own--it is a matter of allowing God to come into my life so completely that He does them--He loves through me--He blesses others through me--He shows me how to be kind to everyone.
Once again, it means dying to myself and living in Him. Lord God, may Your love and power dwell in me and through me!
Prayer
Father God, I cannot do these things on my own. But, with You in control of my life--we can. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit. May Your love pour out from me. May I shine brightly for You and touch the lives of all You bring into my life--for you. To You, and You alone, belongs all glory, honor and praise. Hallelujah!!

No comments: