Sunday, April 27, 2008

Life Journal April 27, 2008
Today's Readings: 2 Samuel 2; 1 Chronicles 11; Psalms 142; Matthew 14

Keeping My Eyes On Jesus

Scripture
Immediately after this [Jesus just fed the 5,000], Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home. After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone.

Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o'clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, "It's a ghost!"

But Jesus spoke to them at once. "Don't be afraid," he said. "Take courage. I am here!"

Then Peter called to him, "Lord, if it's really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water."

"Yes, come," Jesus said.

Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. "Save me, Lord!" he shouted.

Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. "You have so little faith," Jesus said. "Why did you doubt me?"

When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped. Then the disciples worshiped him. "You really are the Son of God!" they exclaimed.
Matthew 14.22-33

Observation
When we have made the choice to follow Jesus, we must keep our eyes on Him and not be distracted by what is going on around us.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
When we make the choice to follow Jesus, things can get rough all around us. We can feel very alone and scared. Then He comes to us--inviting us to take the next step--to trust Him and follow Him even more. I step out of the boat . . . I take a few steps . . . the storm around me continues to rage . . . it's not what I expected . . . I expected Him to make my way smooth and easy--afterall, I am stepping out in faith and following Him . . . I begin to look at the circumstances that surround me . . . I focus on the storm and become terrified . . . what was I thinking stepping out of the boat??? . . . it was safer there in the boat . . . I can't walk on water . . . I begin to sink and cry out to God, "Save me!" . . . I wonder where He is and how He could allow this to happen to me . . . Then, Jesus immediately reaches out and grabs me. . . "Why do you have so little faith?" He asks me . . . "Why did you doubt Me?" . . . But, Lord, didn't You see the storm? . . . Didn't You see that I was beginning to sink???? . . . Jesus asks, "Why did you take your eyes off Me and focus on the storm?" . . . He reminds me, "You get lost in the storms of life and all the chaos that rages around you, when You take your eyes off me. You lose your focus on what is truly important."

Jesus didn't ask Peter to step out of the boat and walk on the water . . . Peter asked Him if he could. Jesus said, "Yes!" To take that step of faith, Peter needed to keep His eyes on the prize--Jesus.

I ask Jesus to use me more and more . . . and then when He does and things get hard . . . I cry out--"Where are You Lord??" It happens when I take my eyes off Jesus and focus on my circumstances. If I don't keep my eyes on Him, I feel lost, broken, beaten up, and alone. If I want to walk with Jesus--on the water--I have to learn to trust Him always and keep my focus on Him and Him alone.

Prayer
Lord God, it is so easy to focus on the storms that rages around me--instead of Jesus. Help me keep my focus as I walk . . . Help me to always look to Him and not the chaos around me. Lord, please forgive me when I doubt, please forgive me when my faith lags. Lord, continue to use me . . . and help me to remember to only look at You. Thank You for reminding me that my focus has been off of You and on my circumstances. Guide me back Lord. Keep me focused only on You!

No comments: