Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Life Journal April 22, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 25,26; Psalm 63; Matthew 9

He Came For Me

Scripture
As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at his tax collector's booth. "Follow me and be my disciple," Jesus said to him. So Matthew got up and followed him.

Later, Matthew invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. But when the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, "Why does you teacher eat with such scum?"

When Jesus heard this, he said, "Healthy people don't need a doctor--sick people do." Then he added, "Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: 'I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.' For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners."
Matthew 9.9-13

Observation
Jesus came for me--a sinner.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
How sad it must make Jesus to see His people turned so inward--so self-focused. We sound like the Pharisees--those churched-folk--as we talk about "those" people. We try to separate ourselves from "those" people--those "sinners"--afraid we might be mistaken as one of "them."

I have been one of "those" people . . . and to be honest . . . have to really watch myself--that I don't become too good, too holy, too self-filled--and forget who I really am. We really don't like to remember--and yet, we must. I must remember what God did for me through His Son, Jesus. And, I must be willing to see others as Jesus sees them--as people, just like me, who need a Savior. I have to remember that I am a just a beggar who knows where to find bread--offering it to other beggars.

Today, as I go through my day, I pray that I see everyone through God's eyes. That I have compassion and show mercy. That I don't see others as "those" people, but instead reach out to each one and offer a drink of living water in Jesus name.

Prayer
Lord God, thank You for the gift of grace that You offered to me. . . may I be faithful in offering it to those you send into my path. May I see others through Your eyes and heart. May I not judge others, for I do not have the right to judge anyone. Fill me with Your compassion and mercy. Continue to break my heart for the lost and the hurting. Thank You for loving me so much.

No comments: