Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Life Journal April 9, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Samuel 6,7; Psalm 72; 2 Corinthians 9

Giving

Scripture
Remember this--a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. "For God loves a person who gives cheerfully." And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. . . . For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you. . . . So two good things will result from this ministry of giving--the needs of the believers in Jerusalem will be met, and they will joyfully express their thanks to God.

As a result of your ministry, they will give glory to God. For your generosity to them and to all believers will prove that you are obedient to the Good News of Christ. And they will pray for you with deep affection because of the overflowing grace God has given to you. Thank God for this gift--his gift--too wonderful for words!
2 Corinthians 9.6-8,10, 12-15

Observation
You cannot out give God.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
It amazes me how stingy I can be with what God gives me--as if I am afraid I won't have "enough." And I am so rich in so many ways. The more we have the more we want. God gives me abundant life--and in turn I pass on the opposite. I judge who is worthy of helping. I judge who is worthy of my time. Based on what??? Too often, what's in it for me.

I love to give . . . . out of my abundance. But, I have second thoughts if it is going to "cost" me something. What will I have to give up--or do without?? How very sad . . . . for me when I think this way.

Psalm 50.10 reminds me, "For all the animals of the forest are mine, and I own the cattle on a thousand hills." It's all God's. What He gives to me is given to be used in a way that points to Him, helps others, and furthers the Gospel. It is not given with the idea that I hoard it--that I give it as I see fit--that I lord it over others. It is given to me so I can share it with one and all. God will judge me with how faithful I am with what He gives me and He will judge those that I share with based on what they do with it.

Today, may I remember that it ALL belongs to God. May I think of others and their needs before my own. May I listen to God's still small voice and respond when He encourages me to share. May I live the abundant life that He has given me and share that abundance with others. And as I am faithful to live out the life that He calls me to live, may He receive all thanks, all glory, and all honor.

Prayer
How blessed I am Father. You provide for all my needs. Forgive me for not being satisfied, for wanting more and more. Forgive me for not being blind to the needs of others--unless it suits me otherwise. Lord, I want to live and walk in the abundant life and share that life with others. Thank You for all You do and give to me. I am blessed. May I never take it for granted. May all that I do and say point to You and the ultimate gift that You offer to each of us--life through Your Son, Christ Jesus. Thank You. You alone are worthy of honor and glory. May all that I do point to You as I share Your generous gifts with others.

No comments: