Monday, June 2, 2008

Life Journal June 2, 2008
Today's readings: Proverbs 22-24; Romans 14

What Matters Most

Scripture
Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God. So let's stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall. . . . For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Romans 14.12-13, 17

Observation
We need to spend more time looking at our own lives (and the sin in them) than at judging others.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
It is so much easier to judge others than myself. And if I am busy pointing to everyone elses sin--maybe, just maybe--no one will notice the sin in my life.

But, I need to do a daily inventory of my own life, because that is what I am responsible for . . . . and it is the only life I have any control over. When I stand before Jesus it won't be to point out everyone elses sin, but to give an accounting of my own life. So, what does that mean for today?

It means that I need to daily look into my own life and see what areas God would have me work on. It means that I support others who are struggling with their own sin and not do anything that could cause them to fall. I cannot take the attitude that I can do whatever I want--they are responsible for their own life--I must not do things that might cause others to stumble. I must not judge or condemn--that's God's job . . . .not mine. And I must rely on the Holy Spirit at work in me to live the life God has called me to live--one filled with goodness, peace and joy. A tall order, but one that is possible because God has given me the Holy Spirit to help me. Praise God!

Prayer
Father God, today may I only examine my own life--may Your light shine brightly on my sin so that I can confess it and repent and begin to move on from it. Today may I not judge or condemn others. Today may Your Holy Spirit fill me with Your goodness, Your peace and Your joy. Thank You for loving me so much.

No comments: