Monday, June 23, 2008

Life Journal June 23, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Kings 10; 2 Chronicles 22, 23; 1 Timothy 5

Quick to Judge

Scripture
Do not listen to an accusation against an elder unless it is confirmed by two or three witnesses.

1 Timothy 5.19

Observation
We should be careful who we listen to--and slow to judge.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
How quick we are to believe the whispers (gossip) about leaders. It seems to make them human--knock them off their pedestal (the one that we put them on in the first place). We want them to fall. Why? Why do we believe the worst--or stretch the truth--or throw stones at our leaders?

Have you ever noticed how someone will be mad at a leader--so they start going from one person to the next stirring up trouble--trying to get others to agree with them? And why do those who the troublemaker goes to, believe the worst so quickly? "If so-and-so says it is true--it must be" is the attitude--even if it doesn't fit what they know about the person at all.

I have had it happen to me--and it hurts. But, who do I do it to? Who do I judge without any real cause? Who do I quickly believe the worst about? Who do I talk about trying to get others to "join my side"? I need to watch my behavior before I worry about the behavior of others. I need to go to the person and get the truth, rather than stir up more trouble. I need to not throw stones so quickly.

Prayer
Lord God, help me to be slow to judge and to speak. Help me to use my words to build people up--to encourage--and to honor You. Help me to set an example for others. Lord, it is so easy to use words to hurt others. Help me to not do that. Help me to be the person You have called me to be. Thank You for loving me and teaching me and disciplining me.

No comments: