Monday, June 9, 2008

Life Journal June 9, 2008
Today's readings: Ecclesiastes 10-12; Psalm 94; Ephesians 5

Excuses

Scripture
Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.

Let there be no sexual immoratlity, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God's people. Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes--these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God. You can be sure that no immoral, impure or greedy person will inherit the Kingdom of Christ and of God. For a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.

Don't be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins, for the anger of God will fall on all who disobey him.
Ephesians 5.1-6

Observation
There are no excuses for sin--we cannot live a life filled with sin and imitate God at the same time--and ignoring our sin doesn't make it disappear.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
How easily we are convinced that sin is okay--at least some sins. It makes us comfortable with ourselves and gives us the excuses we need to ignore the sin in our lives--and in the lives of those we care about.

Times are different now . . . that is one of the better excuses to not follow God's Word. But, it is just that, an excuse.

The bottom line is . . . . . we are called to imitate God. Living a life of sin or ignoring sin or wishing it wasn't sin--doesn't make it so. We cannot live that way and imitate God.

So today, I will first examine my own life and honestly take a moral and spiritual inventory--calling the sin in my life what it is--sin. No excuses. I will then confess it [making myself be honest that it is sin], repent [turn and go the opposite direction] and then continue to hold myself accountable. And in the process I will grow more into an imitator of God.

Prayer
God, I cannot hide my sin from You. . . so why do I try? I am only fooling myself. Lord, help me to take an open and honest inventory of myself--shine light on the sins in my life. Father God, hold me accountable for the sin in my life as I work--with the help of Your Holy Spirit--to overcome it. Thank You for never giving up on me. Thank You for Your discipline--no matter how much I might whine and complain. Lord God, I want to imitate You. Guide me and lead me on the path You would have me go!!

No comments: