Friday, June 6, 2008

Life Journal June 6, 2008
Today's readings: Ecclesiastes 1-3; Psalms 45; Ephesians 2

The Rest of the Story. . .

Scripture
"Everything is meaningless," says the Teacher, "completely meaningless!"

. . . Everything is wearisome beyond description. No matter how much we see, we are never satisfied. No matter how much we hear, we are not content.

History mere repeats itself. I has all be done before. Nothing under the un is truly new.

. . . But as I looked at everything I had worked so hard to accomplish, it was all so meaningless--like chasing the wind. There was nothing really worthwhile anywhere.
Ecclesiastes 1.2, 8-9; 2.11

Observation
The Teacher--the King (King Solomon)--has everything . . . and yet his life seems to have no value.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I read King Solomon's words and think--how depressing--how sad to feel this way. And yet, in my own life, there are days that feel this way . . . so I can't be so quick to throw stones.

The difference between me and King Solomon is Jesus--if I did not have Jesus in my life . . . if I depended only on myself . . . life would seem like doom and gloom. But I have the promise of so much more. I have the promise of eternal life through Jesus Christ.

So, why don't I live this way--as a person filled with hope. Why do I allow the things of this world to get me down? Easy, because I take my eyes off of what is truly important and focus on the here and now. Not the kind of life I have been called to live!

So today, I will live in the hope that I have because of what Jesus has done for me. Today I will live remembering the words from the Ephesians reading:

"Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil--the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God's anger, just like everyone else.

"But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God's grace that you have been saved!) For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus." (Ephesians 2.1-6)

Prayer
Father God, thank You for the hope that I have in Christ Jesus. Help me to focus on You and Your love--not on the world and how hopeless life can seem. My hope is in You--who made heaven and earth! May I live reflecting Your hope!

No comments: