Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Life Journal June 4, 2008
Today's readings: Proverbs 28-29; Psalm 60; Romans 16

Be Careful

Scripture
An now I make one more appeal, my dear brothers and sisters. Watch out for people who cause divisions and upset people's faith by teaching things contrary to what you have been taught. Stay away from them. Such people are not serving Christ our Lord; they are serving their own personal interests. By smooth talk and glowing words they deceive innocent people. But everyone knows that you are obedient to the Lord. This makes me very happy. I want you to be wise in doing right and to stay innocent of any wrong. The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. May the grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.
Romans 16.17-20

Observation
We need to be careful of who we listen to--testing everything--not by what we think is right--but by the Word of God.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I don't mind listening to things that I agree with--or that make me feel good (e.g. prosperity gospel). But I need to be careful and not just follow any teaching blindly--because I like what they say, or I agree with what they say, or I like the person. I must take responsibility for my own faith and check out what they say--is it truth--biblical truth?

As a pastor, it is even more important that I am careful what I say--that I am careful with my words and that I take my responsibility seriously. Are the words I am speaking biblical--or ones that will bring me honor, make others feel good about themselves, or lead them astray. I must constantly be aware of my words and the direction that I point people, just as all believers should be. Am I challenging folks to be more Christ-like, to live the life that we have been called to? Are my words those that would bring God honor and glory and point only to Him?

I do try to be mindful of my words, recognizing that I am responsible to God and will answer to Him someday. But, I need to even be more careful about my words, my attitude . . . the love I show to others. I must always think (and prayer) before speaking, being committed to always pointing to the truth and life that we find in Jesus Christ.

Prayer
Lord God, thank You for Your word. Thank You that Your word is trustworthy and true. May I be aware of my words--may they point to You--may they give You glory and honor--and may they always be truth. Father, help me be aware of the words that I speak and the impact that they can have on others. May they be words that are life-giving. Father God, handling Your word and sharing it with others can be a daunting task--but with the help of Your Holy Spirit I know that I can turn to You for guidance and help. Thank You for helping me and loving me and guiding me. . . today and everyday.

No comments: