Thursday, June 26, 2008

Life Journal June 26, 2008
Today's readings: Jonah 1-4; 2 Timothy 2

You Can Run, But You Can't Hide

Scripture
The Lord gave this message to Jonah son of Amittai: "Get up and go to the great city of Nineveh. Announce my judgment against it because I have seen how wicked its people are."

But Jonah got up and went in the opposide direction to get away from the Lord. He went down to the port of Joppa, where he found a ship leaving for Tarshish. He bought a ticket and went on board, hoping to escape from the Lord by sailing to Tarshish.

But the Lord hurled a powerful wind over the sea, causing a violent storm that threatened to break the ship apart. . . .

Then the sailors picked Jonah up and threw him into the raging sea, and the storm stopped at once! . . .

Now the Lord had arranged for a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was inside th efish for three days and three nights. . .

Then the Lord ordered the fish to spit Jonah out onto the beach.
Jonah 1.1-4, 15, 17; 2.10

Observation
God will accomplish His plan, whether we choose to go along with it or not. Running the other way will do no good!

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
God instructs His Church to reach out and love the lost . . . and we run the other way. His church is declining and dying . . . and yet we turn a deaf ear. How like Jonah we are!

We want God to take care of us--not the lost. And then when we finally give in and He does use us to reach the lost--we get upset because they are different than us and want to do things differently. We even get angry at God--much like Jonah--"I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people. Just kill me now, Lord! I'd rather be dead than alive if what I predicted will not happen." [4.2b-3] We want God's love and mercy and compassion all to ourselves--not shared with sinners.

How God's heart must break because of our arrogance and attitude. He calls us to reach and love the lost--and we run the other way.

So, today I will listen to God's message and I will go to Nineveh and do what He asks . . . and if they repent and seek Him and God changes His mind and does not carry out the destruction He had threatened [3.10b] I will celebrate along with the angels in heaven!

Prayer
Father God, I hear your message to "Get up and go!" and I am not running the other way. I am here, use me. May I be faithful in sharing Your message of love and hope and redemption today!


No comments: