Friday, June 13, 2008

Life Journal June 13, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Kings 13, 14; 2 Chronicles 12; Philippians 3

The Only Thing That Really Matters

Scripture
Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God's way of making us right with himself depends on faith. I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead!
Philippians 3.8-11

Observation
Nothing else matters--only knowing Christ and placing my faith in Him.

Application
How easily we get caught up in following the law--at least the parts of it we are comfortable with and are able to follow . . . and want to follow. For some reason we have it in our minds that we need to be responsible for our own salvation--rather than letting go of all of it and taking the time to know Christ. Are we afraid of what will happen if we do know Him and have faith in Him alone? . . . We will no longer be in control. And, we all like to be in control (or at least make ourselves think we are).

We are all going to follow someone/something--for me, it has to be Christ. I learned a long time ago that I'm not in control even when I think I am--or try to be. Either the world or Christ are controlling me--my thoughts--my actions.

So, today, I join with Paul in saying "I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead." The next part is a little harder to say--"I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death." That is part of "the package", not the feel-good promises the world makes. But, truth. Whether we go with Christ or with the world, we will suffer. The difference is that Christ is with me when I suffer for Him. The world won't stay with me when I am fallen because I have been drawn into the promises it has made to me--the world will take me down and then walk away laughing that they were able to trick me.

So, today, I will continue to get to know Christ and experience His mighty power. Today, I will be willing to suffer with Him.

Prayer
Lord, I am Yours. Today, help me to know You more. May my faith in You grow. Today, may I be willing to suffer with You. That's hard to say Lord, no one likes to suffer--yet, that is part of faith--trusting you enough to say, "Do with me as You will--I am Yours." Lord, may I be a light in this dark world. Thank You Lord for all that You do for me. I am once again amazed at Your love for me and that You want me to be Yours.

No comments: