Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Life Journal June 25, 2008
Today's readings: Joel 1-3; 2 Timothy 1

A Message for Today?

Scripture
That is why the Lord says, "Turn to me now, while there is time. Give me your hearts. Come with fasting, weeping, and mourning. Don't tear your clothing in your grief, but tear your hearts instead." Return to the Lord your God, for he is merciful and compassionate, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. He is eager to relent and not punish.
Joel 2.12-13

Observation
God wants us to confess our sin and return to Him--but if we choose not to there will be judgment and eternal punishment.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
God's people had turned away from Him. They had turned their backs on God and had chosen to worship other gods. God is ready to send His judgment--but, these are His special possession--His children. He offers them one more chance to repent. . . .one more chance to turn from their sin and turn to Him.

Doesn't sound that much different from today. We worship so many other things in the world--money, jobs, success, things--and give God our leftovers--if even that. When will God say--enough? Is the time at hand?

Whether it is today or next year or 100 years from now or 10,000 years from now--it is time for us to return to Him. To examine our lives, to confess our sins, to give Him our hearts, to fast, weep and mourn over our sin. God wants our hearts--broken, repentant, and open to Him. He won't force us--I have to do it on our own. But, He waits patiently--for he is merciful and compassionate, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. He is eager to relent and not punish. So what holds us back? Our own self-centeredness. Our unwillingness to turn control of our lives over to God. It is time to return to the Lord our God before it is too late. Today is the day of salvation.

Prayer
Father forgive me. Lord, I fall so short. I want to live the life You want me to--I want to give You control of my life--every area of it. I am so thankful that you are merciful and compassionate, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. I can't understand it--not when I turn my back on You so often--going my own way. Father God, here I am--here is my heart--it is Yours.

No comments: