Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Life Journal June 24, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Kings 11,12; 2 Chronicles 24; 1 Timothy 6

Hungry For the Wrong Things

Scripture
Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can't take anything with us when we leave it. So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.

But people who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.
1 Timothy 6.6-10

Observation
We should be happy with what we have and "pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love perseverance, and gentleness" [1 Timothy 6.11]--those things that have eternal value.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
This Scripture goes against all that the world tells us. The world tells us that we need to have more money and stuff . . . and then more . . . and then more. We think that the more we have will make us happy. But, it doesn't happen. We measure success by how much someone has. We measure our own value by what we have--or don't have.

Money drives our world . . . and too often it drives us. I hate to admit that I see myself in this more than I would like. What would the world be like if we were driven by God--if we measure success by God's standards--if we gave God first place--if we worshiped God more than we do money or things.

Time today to realign myself with God's Word. To see where I allow the world to push and drive me--rather than God. Time to remember what is important and focus on it. Time to put money and things in their proper place.

Prayer
Lord God, today I confess that sometimes I get side-tracked by money and things. It happens so silently and quickly that I don't even notice it is happening. And, the next thing I know, it is driving me and my actions--rather than You. Lord, I desire to put You first in all areas of my life. You are Lord of my life and over all that I have. May I remember what is most important and focus on You. And, may I "Fight the good fight for the true faith." [1 Timothy 6.12]

No comments: