Monday, June 16, 2008

Life Journal June 16, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Kings 17-19; Colossians 2

Shhhhh....

Scripture
"Go out and stand before me on the mountain," the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.
1 Kings 19.11-13a

Observation
God doesn't always make a loud entrance.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
How many times have I missed God because I was too noisy or He "appeared" differently than I expected . . . or wanted??

I love this reminder that God is often present in the quiet--it is the world who makes all the noise and chaos pulling our hearing, eyes, heart and thoughts away from God.

It is so important for me to quiet myself so I can listen--truly listen--for God's voice. . . so I can sense His presence . . . so I can hear His word to me.

In a world that beckons me to come and do more -- to be bombarded by sights and sounds -- God quietly whispers for me to come away with Him and be still.

Prayer
Lord, today Your Word points me to Psalm 46. So this is my prayer:

God, You are my refuge and my strength, always ready to help me in times of trouble. So, I will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge! . . .

Lord, I see your glorious words--I see how you bring destruction upon the world. Lord, you alone cause wars to end throughout the earth. You break the bow and snap the spear; You burn the shields with fire.

Lord, today may I be still enough to hear You.

Today may I remember that You are God!

Today may You be honored by every nation and throughout the world.

In a world filled with chaos and noise, thank You for speaking peace and quiet into my life today.

No comments: