Saturday, June 28, 2008

Life Journal June 28, 2008
Today's readings: Amos 1-3; Psalms 80; 2 Timothy 4

Never Give Up, Never Give In

Scripture
Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.

For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear. They will reject the truth and chase after myths.

But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don't be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good news, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you.

2 Timothy 4.2-5

Observation
Carrying out the ministry God has given me is no promise of it going easily or smoothly.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
When we are carrying out the ministry God has given to us--for some reason we believe (and so do others) that it should go smoothly, that everyone will hear what God has for us to say, that we will be well-liked, and it will be easy. But, we are never promised that. Actually we are promised quite the opposite.

So, it is critical that I keep in the Word and keep my eyes on God--otherwise I will become distracted and discouraged. I need to be faithful to what God has called me to do--no matter the cost.

Prayer
Father, it is easy to become discouraged in ministry. Please help me to remain faithful, for someday, like Paul, I want to be able to say, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful." I can't do it if I take my eyes off You. May I stay focused on the main thing--You!

No comments: