Friday, June 20, 2008

Life Journal June 20, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Kings 4,5; Psalms 83; 1 Timothy 2

Pray For All People

Scripture
I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and Dignity. This is good and pleases God our Savior, who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity--the man Christ Jesus.
1 Timothy 2.1-5

Observation
We must never give up praying for others.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Prayer is an important part of my life. But . . . I don't always pray for all people . . . and I am certainly not faithful in praying for the leaders of our country.

I wonder how different our nation--and other countries would be--if we were all faithful to pray for those who are in authority. Would there be less war? Would there be fewer problems? How can I blame the president and others for what is happening when I don't pray for them?

It is easy to pray for those we care about--but what about those we don't know? What about missionaries? What about the lost?

Today's word is an important reminder to me that we are called to pray . . . then pray more. We are to pray for everyone. What if I would pray for everyone God brings into contact with me? The checker at Wal-Mart, those who are walking by me in the store, those who are driving next to me, the homeless person I see standing on the corner, . . . How different would my world be?

I would be changed. And, I can trust that God would work in the lives of others.

So today, I will pray more . . . aware of those around me. I will prayer for our leaders. I will pray.

Prayer
Father God, I have to confess that I don't pray as much as I should. . .and yet, I feel like I pray a lot. But, it's not enough. It is not enough to only pray for those who are a part of my life--you have told me to pray for everyone. You have told me to pray for the president and other leaders of our nation. So, Lord, I lift up President Bush to you. He says that he is Yours. Lord, I would pray that You would give him a boldness to be Your witness. I pray that You fill him with Your Spirit. Lord, I pray that You would send God-filled/Spirit-filled individuals to surround him and to pray for him and to walk with him. That You would give him wisdom. And Lord, I pray for those in this world that represent You by being missionaries. Many of them put their lives on the line for You. Keep them safe. May they sense Your presence today as they minister in Your name. I pray for all the persecuted Christians around the world. I have it so easy here, Lord . . . and yet I talk as if it is difficult. There are those who are dying today for You. They are willing to give their life as a sacrifice. Be with them. Pour out Your peace and Your love on them. Lord, I pray for those who don't know You. Send Your people into their lives so that they may come face-to-face with You. May they come to a saving knowledge of You today. Lord, for my brothers and sisters in Christ, I pray that You would fill them with Your fire and with boldness and Your love. May Your love overflow from them and cover the world. Lord, thank You that You are such a huge God--that I cannot overwhelm You with my prayer requests. It seems like so much to pray for, yet You tell us to pray for everyone. Be present today, Lord God.

No comments: