Friday, June 27, 2008

Life Journal June 27, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Kings 13, 14; 2 Chronicles 25; 2 Timothy 3

Power of the Word

Scripture
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
2 Timothy 3.16-17

Observation
God "wrote" all Scripture and wants us to apply all of it to our lives.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
How many times have I heard or read these verses--especially verse 16. Often verse 17 is not included. We use it to tell others that the Bible is the Word of God. But there is much more to these verses.

I find it interesting how people (including myself) pick and choose the verses that they will follow. . . .or not. Those that we believe are true and those that we believe really don't apply. We look for ways to make our sins okay.

These verses tell us ALL Scripture is inspired and is there to teach us--that includes the Old Testament. It is there to teach us, to show us what happens when people rebel against God, and God's amazing mercy, compassion, and unfailing love.

If we are in the Word everyday, we will learn and grow. We allow God to teach us, to prepare us and to equip us. We cannot expect to be growing believers if the only time we hear or read the Word is on Sunday mornings. It has to be part of our lives everyday.

So, how will I be different today because of God's Word? I will continue to be in His Word, I will pray and ask God to reveal to me where I need to apply it--what He is trying to teach me, and I will make it a part of my life--using it in all areas of my life.

Prayer
Thank You Father, for Your Word. Help me to not take Your Word for granted, but to see it for the gift from You that it is. It is how You communicate with me. It is how You guide me, teach me, and discipline me. Your Word is filled with Your love letters to me. Lord, I pray that You give me a hunger for Your Word. I pray that I am drawn to Your Word, more and more. And Lord, I pray that Your Church is drawn to Your Word. Thank You for loving me enough to give me the Bible. May I never abuse it or take it for granted. May I hide your word in my heart, that I might not sin against You. May Your Word continue to be a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.

No comments: