Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Life Journal, December 2, 2008
Today's readings: Romans 9-12

Living Differently

Scripture
Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Don't just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God's people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you. Don't curse them; pray that God will bless them. Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with each other. Don't be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don't think you know it all!

Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.
Romans 12.2, 9-18

Observation
We are to be transformed into new people who live and love in a way that reflects God.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I need to remember that because of Christ--and His work in my life--and the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life, I should not be like the world--I am called to be different. To act differently . . . to treat other's differently . . . to love as God loves . . . to treat others as He would have me treat them--not how I want to treat them.

It's easy to do this with those we care about or like, but not as easy with those whom we perceive as difficult or EGR (extra grace required) folks. But, it is in how I treat them . . . how I love them . . . that demonstrates God's active presence in my life. So, with the help of the Holy Spirit, I need to love them as God loves them. Not easy. . . .especially when I don't want to. [smile?!?!]

So today, I will allow God to work in my life, especially in how I relate to others. I will choose to act differently, love more, and hopefully, allow God to reflect in all areas of my life and with all those He brings into it -- or has already brought into it.

Prayer
Father God, today may I love as You love. May I reflect You in how I treat others. Today, may I be transformed in all areas of my life to live as You have called me to live.

No comments: