Monday, December 15, 2008

Life Journal, December 16, 2008
Today's reading: 1 Peter 1-5

The Life of a Follower

Scripture
All of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude. Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it.
"If you want to enjoy life
and see many happy days,
keep your tongue from speaking evil
and your lips from telling lies.
Turn away from evil and do good.
Search for peace, and work to maintain it.
The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right
and his ears are open to their prayers.
But the Lord turns his face,
against those who do evil."
1 Peter 3.8-12

Observation
Followers of Christ should act and be different than the world.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I recently met a man who considers himself an agnostic--bordering on being an athiest. He sees no reason to become a Christian. You see, he has watched church-going "Christians" and how they treat each other and those around themselves . . . and it's not pretty, to say the least. They aren't any different than the world . . . and are much more judgmental of others.

Our actions, as followers/believers of Jesus Christ, speak loudly . . . but what do they say?? How can we tell others about a loving God when we don't love others? How can we help them see that God loves them right where they are when we expect them to clean up their act and be "perfect" like us [what a joke] before they come to church??

These instructions from Peter--similar to others written in the New Testament--describe what our lives should look like if we are truly a follower of Christ. Does mine look like this?? I hope it is beginning to become part of who I am. I have to admit there are some areas that I am having to work harder at--be more intentional about living out. And yes, sometimes I fall flat on my face. But, I hope that everyday, I become more like Jesus--not just someone who knows all the right words, but actually someone who reflects Him with my life. Today, may I be more like my Savior.

Prayer
Father God, I want to be more like Jesus. I want to reflect Him in all I do and say. I cannot do it on my own. I need Your Holy Spirit to fill me more and more and take over my life (recognizing that I must surrender my life) more each hour . . . each day. Lord, I don't want people to look at me and think 'If that is what a follower of Christ is like, I don't want anything to do with Him.' I want to learn to love as Jesus loved and live as Jesus lived . . . and help others to do the same. I want to reflect Christ's love and mercy in all that I do and say. May Your light and life fill me today.

No comments: