Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Life Journal, December 3, 2008
Today's reading: Romans 13-16

A Different World

Scripture
Love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no wrong to others, so love fulfills the requirements of God's law.

Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God. So let's stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall.

So then, let us aim for harmony in the church and try to build each other up.

May God, who gives this patience and encouragement, help you live in complete harmony with each other, as is fitting for followers of Christ Jesus. Then all of you can join together with one voice, giving praise and glory to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Therefore, accept each other just as Christ has accepted you so that God will be given glory.
Romans 13.9b; 14.12,13, 19; 15.5-7

Observation
As God's church, our love for each other should shine out and set us apart from the world.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I can only imagine how disappointed God is in His Church and what the world thinks of Him because of us. We bicker. We fight. We demand what we want. We judge. We divide. We gossip. We don't treat each other with love, let alone respect. Not what God had in mind.

We are called to be different--to shine brightly with God's amazing, extravagant love! And we don't do a very good job of it. Mostly because it would require us to put others before ourselves. Ouch! We are so self-centered that we believe that everyone else should want things our way. Not very biblical.

So, today, I will be intentional about loving--no matter how I am treated, no matter what is said to me--I will reply in love. Today I will put others first. I will strive to build bridges, not barriers. Today, it will not be about me--but about others and God's great love for them that I am allowed to share with them. It has to start with me as an individual if it is to leak over into the church.

Prayer
Father God, I try to live out these Scriptures--and fail miserably so often. I don't like to admit it--I am self-centered. I want things done my way (because, of course, it is the right way). I am called to reflect You. I am called to love like You. I am called to be different. Lord God, I cannot do this on my own. May Your Holy Spirit work in me, today--and every day--to make me more like You . . . more loving, less judging . . . an encourager rather than a gossiper. Today, may I reflect YOU!!

No comments: